Eleven days ago I received a notification on my phone (Sorry for taking so long.) that I had received a comment on one of my posts from Carrie from Lady With A Truck, and that she had kindly nominated me for a Sunshine Award. One thing that I have to admit is that I am rather slow to respond these, especially with the current semester underway and trying to make sure I am on top of every assignment and reading that is thrown my way by my instructor/instructors. I also said it would be a while since I would come back to the blog, but I didn’t want to wait too long to respond and do all of the fun stuff that goes with receiving and passing on awards. Thankfully I am completely caught up on assignments, reading, and homework that I can do this without worrying about whether I might fall behind. Being ahead of the game has quite a bit of benefits.
I have also been busy with building up my home recording setup and gearing it towards something specific that I want to get started doing professionally. Making sure I have the gear I need, the software, and plugins. It hasn’t been the easiest of undertakings, but hopefully something that will pay off in the long run.
Things are gonna be a bit rusty for me, since it has been a while since I have written my last official post.
There are requirements with receiving this award: I have to reveal 10 little known facts about myself and then nominate 10 other blogs for the same award. Depending on how you see it, you might view the first half as torturous since I have a tendency to ramble on quite a bit.
The 10 Unknown:
1. I have a tendency when dishes and silverware do not come out clean in the dishwasher, or look questionable, I will re-wash them. I don’t mean that I throw another soap packet in the dishwasher and run it a second time. I will literally fill up one side of the sink with hot water and soap, dump the silverware, plates, and glasses/cups in and begin to wash EVERYTHING by hand. My family has accused me of having OCD, but I just cannot handle when I see dinnerware coming out dirtier than when they have gone in. Whether or not I actually have OCD I couldn’t tell you because I do not know. If I take out a plate, cup, silverware when I am the only person sitting down to eat something I will wash what I used by hand and not place it in the dishwasher.
2. I have a love of old audio recordings. Usually in the form of old music and comedy/spoken word (especially old time radio shows). I couldn’t explain where it began or as to why I have this kind of love for this stuff as I have always loved audio since I was a kid. My father actually gave me two old reel to reel machines when I was around ten to twelve years old, which disappeared through time and moving around. I would love to be a music producer, but I think I would be just as happy doing audio archiving/restoration whether as a small business or working for something like the Smithsonian.
3. I wouldn’t say it is THE biggest thing that I struggle with, but it is one that I do nonetheless. I have always struggled with words. From trying to word things for a podcast, lyrics, or even this post. I do not know what it is or why, maybe it is because I tend to overthink and have trouble either simplifying what I am trying to say or that I am self-conscious. Lyrics and podcasting are my two biggest hurdles, the podcasting seems like it just flows but that is actually editing and doing take after take. I even have been trying to apply what I learned in my communications/speech class, although find myself falling either into old habits or ad-libbing quite a bit.
4. I was raised a bit of a neat-freak. My bedroom/studio/office (Trust me! All three are the same place.) is well organized and clean. The only unorganized thing that I will allow myself in my room is my bed. Outside of that I do not allow any food, drink, smoking, or cat in my room. Don’t get me wrong, I love our cat, but because of the type of equipment I keep in my room I cannot have cat hair and dander getting on or in certain things. I have a tendency to freak-out when I go over to someone else’s house and they are either disorganized or very dirty. I sometimes want to brace myself against the walls until it is time for me to go (which I try not to do). I even have storage and hooks for practically everything from movies to games to books to equipment and cables. I try to keep as much floor space as possible.
5. I like going to the drive-in to see a movie, although it has been a long time since I have seen a movie at a drive-in.
6. Because of how I have my priorities in life set, as well as how I view what is important to me; I haven’t dated anyone in twenty one years. Plus I am not really interested in the whole deal of getting with someone, settling down, have a family, and then retire. I like kids, I helped raise my nephew, but having children is not for me. I have been hit on three or four times in my life, even though I am not the most intelligent and debonaire individual on the planet. It usually goes over my head because I cannot decipher whether or not the person that is hitting on me wants something quick, likes what they see and hear on the surface, or if they even have a genuine interest. Given my current situation a relationship will only derail what I have been working hard for.
7. Unlike most people, a vacation to me is not traveling to a theme park or some fancy resort or trendy, upscale restaurant, or a big city. A vacation to me is seeing or experiencing something that isn’t normally around me. I love going to small towns, I love traveling those old roads instead of being stuck on the highway. Especially if they have a store that isn’t another department/retail store. Even things that might be unique to that town or place.
8. I am a research addict. Although it is not about every piece of knowledge that I am after. I love looking up things that interest me or that I might have a question about. Whether it is looking it up on a site, in a book, magazine, documentary, etc. I love looking things up. I love learning about how films are made and what inspired the writer or director to make a film or show, what inspired an author to write their book, a musician/songwriter’s inspiration for a song, as well as learning about the various tropes that they might encompass. History, things related to the profession/professions I am chasing, laws, etc. I think it has to do with the fact that I do not want to stop learning.
9. Unless I am teaching you how to play an instrument, use a piece of equipment, or show you how to do something I am not interested in telling anyone what to do, how to think, or what to believe. I have a firm belief in people making their own choices, letting them think for themselves, and coming to their own conclusions rather than have everyone agree with me immediately and by default. Unless it is something where everyone agrees that it is completely wrong (i.e. murder, rape, child abduction, etc.). Outside of that I am not interested in telling anyone what path in life they should follow. For example: I may think it is wrong for you to cheat on your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/significant other, but I am not going to tell you a damn thing. As far as I am concerned it is just too entertaining to watch you hang yourself. I live for the folly of the various dumb things my fellow human beings do (Schadenfreude!).
10. I am one of those people who literally freaks the fuck out if I am not punctual. I hate being late for anything. If I even think I might be a minute late I will totally sweat it. You might also want to take into consideration that if you tell me to come over to your house or another location at a specific time and you decide to space it and fucker off I am likely to leave a message carved into your front door or your vehicle. I might abduct your cat as well since it looks like it has been a while since you last fed it or gave it any attention. I am ALWAYS on time, nothing frustrates me more than putting other things that I need to be doing aside to meet up with you just to have you not show up, or make me wait past the allotted time we agreed upon to talk/discuss or work on something. I come from a family of east coasters, be prepared to have an explanation for as to why you stood me up or made me wait to the point where I ended up having to leave because I needed to get something else done. If your reason comes off as not genuine I will see you as unreliable and not bother with you after a while, especially if you do this to me quite often. Being late or having my time wasted makes me irritable.
There! Now that you got to read information about me that you probably didn’t want to know it is time for my nominees.
My 10 Nominees:
These are people whom I also have quite a bit of respect for as well. Including others in my blogroll.
1. My first nominee is one of my fellow gamers and friend over at Old School Game Blog. I won’t give his name since I haven’t received his permission to do so, plus he doesn’t use it when he posts. This gentleman has a very big passion for the Amiga that he has dedicated a good portion of his blog to. He is very up to date on everything related to Amiga and the various software and peripherals related to it. I have to admit that I have never owned a Commodore product in my life, especially since they were quite expensive at the time. Although thanks to him I am quite interested in learning more. It is also through him that I learned about the Raspberry PI.
2. Colleen (AKA Chatter Master) from The Chatter Blog is my next nominee. I like Colleen’s blog because it is very diverse in its content and how it represents her. It can go from what she is feeling or experiencing at the current moment, her thoughts on something, poetry, biking (it’s in her blog’s url), taking guitar lessons, stick figures, and many other facets. Colleen has also helped me on a couple of occasions when I needed some bike help.
3. I have to admit that I enjoy reading this next nominee’s blog with an evil bit of glee (although I am actually referring to one section in particular). Especially when I see those who make the mistake of running afoul of attempting to make this person either look stupid or flat out insulting them. Because I don’t think the person making the attempt quite comprehends what they are in store for when a response is heading in their direction. For those of you who do not know who I am talking about, I am talking about Red from The M3 Blog. Although this doesn’t mean that this is what her blog is predominantly about, there are a multitude of facets on The M3 Blog that is quite enjoyable. My favorite section (which I hinted at above) is the Friday Follies.
4. This next blogger that I am nominating is Missus Tribble from Wine And Roses From Outer Space. Missus Tribble has helped me on numerous occasion with attaining information in the UK/Britain when I couldn’t find what I initially needed when researching a subject for a podcast episode. She is also one of two people who are my go-to people for anything Doctor Who related when I do not quite understand something in particular. I have literally mispronounced her name as well as the name of her blog a couple of times on my podcast.
5. My next nominee is Eric from The Warning Sign. Eric is definitely a movie-phile, and a fellow gamer. A lot of his reviews are of the various films he has watched. He has been trying, I think, to see every movie he can get his hands on. There have been quite a few times I learned about a movie through Eric’s reviews that I have had the chance to check out.
6. Her blog rocks! Her name rocks! Read it! RRRRAAARRAAASAAUR!!!
7. My next nominee is the Queen Of Fractals. Of course I am referring to BuddhaKat. She writes about so much more, but it is definitely hard to ignore her awesome fractals.
9. If you have not heard of Shitfest then you need head over to The IPC and check it out. Don’t forget to check out Isaac’s film reviews. Another movie-phile with a penchant for exposing terrible movies as well.
10. My final nominee is Somkritya who has to be one of the most eclectic bloggers I have come across. Poetry, stories, Insane Zone, and a whole lot more.
So there you have it! My nominees to receive a Sunshine Awards. If I have anything incorrect about you or your blogs I apologize up front.
Have a great day everyone!
Back into hiding and being a college student.